Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Vampire Weekend + Jewelry=Awesome

I've been a bad blogger! Since laziness, catching up on season three of House and buying jeans don't really seem like valid excuses, let's just say I've been really, uh, busy. At, um, work. That's it! Work. Oh, honey, you have no idea. Work, work, work.

Anyhow, tonight we are going to see Vampire Weekend, a band which I like very much.
Here's the myspace page: Vampire Weekend. Go listen! Then come back, because we have jewelry to discuss.

Oh, wait! I totally forgot to tell you about this awesome thing I read on Yahoo! last week. Apparently, this guy in the UK built a castle and then hid it behind a giant wall of hay bales because it violated zoning restrictions (ya think?), and there were some comments from various spokespeople peppered throughout the article, but my favorite had to be:
"It looks like a mock-Tudor house from the front and it's got two turrets at the back," the spokeswoman said. "I understand there is also a cannon."
It's almost unfair that such a profound sentence gets said so rarely.

I guess let's do African themed jewelry as Vampire Weekend has a major Afro influence thing happening. (Thanks, BF, for the idea.)
Taurag Silver Bracelet made in Niger, $9.90



Glass and Amber necklace from Ghana, $75



Recycled Plastic Bangles from Burkina Fhaso, $2.50-$3.50

Okay, folks. Finding African jewelry is a bit harder than I expected. I've decided to also include Vampire jewelry in the mix!
Baby Vamp Rings, $350 from Catbird
(If I'm not mistaken, I think Jen of Sleep Deprivation and Stories of my Bullshit Youth just received a similar ring when her fella proposed. Congratulations!)


Vampretta Vampire Fang Necklace by Alchemy Gothic, $40
(Huh.)

One year for Halloween, I was a slutty vampire (what other kind is there?), and since my mom works in the dental field, I had a pair of custom fangs made.
That's the whole story!

I've decided that I will limit my updating to at least twice a week, but no more of this every day business! Friday Favorites will resume this week.

Thank you.



12 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love the recycled plastic bangles! They are so nicely lightweight and colorful. Welcome back!

Jill said...

The one's I liked the best were actually the cheapest too, the recycled bangles are so bright & happy.

paperback reader said...

I tend to distrust people who love vampires, because it's only a matter of time before I have to suppress my gag reflex while they go on and f-ing on about how Anne Rice is such a good writer.

WendyB said...

Phew, I'm glad you're back. I love that you got custom fangs.

Fashion Tidbits said...

awesome! i was just reading 'interview w the vampire' yesterday...lol

jewelboxdreams said...

I like the ring. Very subtle. And yay for Vampire Weekend! Lion pride!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I love the tribal inspired ones!

Mónica said...

I love the ones from Burkina Fhaso

bronwyn said...

Love the African bracelets, I have five of the thin ones:)

Anonymous said...

I was just listening to them the other day. I read about them in the NY Times & they're super. :]

molly said...

oooh crazy awesome jewelry!

jewelboxdreams said...

Yup, I go to Barnard College, which is one of the three undergraduate colleges at Columbia. (Barnard is all girls -- the other two are Columbia College and the engineering school, both co-ed.)