Thursday, January 3, 2008

For the Birds

A while back, I mentioned my search for a slightly pricier (ie outta H&M for once) bag. I think this is something every woman suffers through: the search for the ideal purse. I've gone the messenger route and traveled through tote-ville to no avail. Poor BF has to suffer through with me as I bombard him with questions. Too dark? Will I use it? How about that strap? (Oh, how I love him.)

Anyhow, armed with a couple of gift cards and coupons at Macy's, I accidentally found a bag I really like. I haven't actually taken the tags off yet, but I stare at it in my closet for a long moment every morning. What do you folks think?

Lucky Brand Suede Gathered Hobo Bag
(I DID NOT BUY THE BLUE ONE! I purchased it in "mulled wine" and it is apparently impossible to find a good pic of that color online.) It's got a nice bright paisley print inside. C'mon people. Convince me to make a decision about it one way or the other...

Next non-jewelry topic:
On Saturday morning, BF and I took the 8 AM train into Manhattan to catch the 10:35 AM showing of There Will be Blood. Bf is a big Paul Thomas Anderson buff, and the movie is only playing in one theatre (!); it seemed like an adventure. The theatre wasn't even open when we strolled up at 9:20, but there was a short line, so I ran next door for croissants and fruit while he waited. We were the first ones in the place--it was at Lincoln Square Cinemas, home of the recreated movie palaces--so we settled in one of the front rows (there was a mezzanine, but I forgot my glasses), played Scrabble on my phone and ate breakfast. By the time the lights went down, the theatre was packed. So many people! 10:35 AM!

Paul Dano and Daniel Day-Lewis, neither of whom I would kick out of bed (Uh, honey, only if they are tired! No funny business!)

The movie was only good, but Daniel Day-Lewis was amazing. Mesmerizing.
Watch the trailer here: There Will be Blood
Metacritic reviews (average score of 95!)
(Oh, so the tickets were $6! Wow, right?)


Finally, inspired by one of Clothes Horse's thrift store buys, I went looking around for some cute bird cage necklaces:

Topshop Bird Cage Necklace, £12




Bird Cage Necklace at Shanalogic, $34




Empty Birdcage Necklace by adorapop, $18.50





Caged Bird Necklace + Empty Cage Necklace with three escaping bird brooches by Allison Wells, $175

14 comments:

WendyB said...

Ha! I like the cage/escaping birds combo. The purse is nice in the wine color. I was terrified you'd gotten it in the blue at first.

s.i. michaels said...

Love the purse. It looks very easy to wear every day - ie: not covered in gold tassels or made of fur. I'm more of a shoe person, tho, so don't know if my opinion counts for much.

paperback reader said...

My hatred of the hours before noon trumps my love for movies. But I'm quite interested to see how this Upton Sinclair adaptation plays out.

In Yr Fshn said...

Wendy: Ye of little faith!

Ambika: Every opinion counts. You are one for the yea side, and I appreciate your assistance towards my goal of having the Internet one day make all my decisions for me.

pistols at dawn: Lazy! By next week, I'm sure it'll be all over the place, and it's definitely worth seeing. Bonus for the early show: no talkers. If you are going to a 10:35 AM movie, it's for a reason, ya know?

Vintage Bunny said...

I was scared too that you got it in the blue !The wine color is very nice.

Sarah Brown said...

You know I'm not one for bird jewelry, but I love the empty birdcage pendant! So Edward Gorey!

And I think the mulled wine suede bag is very cute.

Flair said...

oooh, bird cage necklaces, how cute! You always find the best jewelry. I like the shape of the purse and the material looks soft.

Unknown said...

Oh, birdcages! I think they should be the new owls/guns/skulls/hearts.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Oh I love the bird cage neckalce that is too cute for words!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Oh! Those necklaces are great. And I like the bag too. It's dangerous buying suede though, I tempted to just caress it 24/7 which might frighten people in public.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The bag color (and the bag itself) is lovely!

And yay, I love bird-themed things.

riz said...

Wow Paul Dano is getting big! I haven't seen the film yet, but he got a mini blurb in this month's Vogue...weird to think he's the same kid in The Girl Next Door!

krissy said...

i love that topshop necklace so much! wish we had a topshop in canada...
and yay for featuring a toronto gal's work (allison wells)! she makes such great stuff.