The lovely Sal of Already Pretty tagged me to list the seven songs that are shaping my Spring. Mine'll be for summer because a.) Spring is over and b.) I love Summer. I'm still a bit of a backwoods blogger, so I'll post links to where you can listen to the songs. No fancy embedding, sorry.
1. "Gobbledigook" by Sigur Ros: What a lovely rush of a song. Pitchfork described it as "Sigur Ros doing Animal Collective" which is totally on the mark. If you aren't familiar with any of those names, let me translate: it sounds like an amazing, ethereal indie rock choir covering a happy, hand-clapping mess of a song.
Listen to: when making dinner on a warm summer night
2. "Death and All His Friends" by Coldplay: It was only a couple of days ago when my boyfriend called me from work and whispered sheepishly, "I have something to tell you." Deep breath. "I like the new Coldplay. A lot." Yes, we're those elitist snobs who think Coldplay is a dirty word or anyhow, we were. Now, however, we're both digging it. This is my favorite song on the album purely for the catchy little chorus that pops up around the 2:40 mark.
Listen to: when reading blogs
3. "Love Made Visible" by The Delays: The whole album was a little bit of a disappointment, but this song sounds like the Delays I know and love.
Listen to: when you are going for a walk and pretending you are in the opening scene of a movie
4. "Mykonos" by Fleet Foxes: I think I've mentioned this song before, but it really bears repeating. A lovely ditty that is reminiscent of a warm sunny day in the 60's/ 70's, laying in a field full of wildflowers or something.
Listen to: on a sleepy Sunday morning
5. "Stop Playing Guitar" by the Promise Ring: There's just something about this song. I mean c'mon--the singer has a lisp. And it's charming. (Please please please do not watch the video when you listen. It's a dreadful video. Just minimize the screen.)
Listen to: when you are sure you're happy
6. "Leggy Blonde" by Flight of the Conchords: My bf's song for me. Catchy and ridiculous. But sweet.
Listen to: when you're reading In Yr Fshn. Duh.
7. "You've Done it Again, Virginia" by The National: If it's not evident, I'm a sucker for sleepy, slow music in the summer. Makes me think of being lazy and sluggish in the heat, doing nothing but reading and laying around.
Listen to: when you're deciding whether to get ice cream or gelato, but know you'll get neither and probably just take a nap instead
So I'm supposed to tag seven people, but I have no idea who hasn't been tagged yet for this one. I feel like I keep seeing it everywhere... if you'd like to be tagged let me know.
Updated to add: I am tagging my friend Mr. Bungle, who is currently attempting to ride across the country on a bicycle. His brave lady, Mz. Bungle, is joining him. They are blogging about it (or will be blogging about it) at Bungles on Bikes.