Monday, January 7, 2008

Angst and Plaid

I'm officially swimming in My So-Called Life. We've been making our way through the box set steadily, pausing only for quick questions, mostly posed to me by the BF. He's eight years older, and the show is closer chronologically to my HS experience than his. Also, he's a boy. Boys sometimes don't get it.

"Were you mean like that in High School?"
Yes, but I told him no.
Did you hate your mom?
Sometimes.
Were girls mean like that always?
Yes.
Did you pass notes?
Yes, but it made me deathly afraid. I was a goody two shoes.
Did you wear plaid shorts too?
Yes, but without the tights.


Ugh, I am cringing here, but yes. I wore shorts like that. In public. I also wore my (6'3" tall) father's hand-me-down oxford shirts, thinking them stylish. God, I was clueless.

Anyhow, in honor of my (very badly dressed) high school self, here's some plaid jewelry:


Tartan Plaid Bangles, $6.99




M. Haskell Plaid Hoop Earrings, $15





Rachel Abroms Plaid Ribbon Necklace, $162






Betsey Johnson Plaid Ring, $28





Plaid Earrings, $5.99

18 comments:

WendyB said...

I think you owe us a photo of you in the plaid shorts.

s.i. michaels said...

This brings back memories. I was a sophomore when this show came on & everyone I knew felt like they were Angela.

I wore shorts with tights but I think they were cords. Cringe.

paperback reader said...

I never cared for that show. As a punker in high school, her lame experience of going out on the town to see edgy band Buffalo Tom where some guy or maybe she totally threw up from drinking like that was some huge deal seemed so tame.

In Yr Fshn said...

Wendy: Thank the lord, none exist. I went through a phase in which I destroyed a lot of my teenage photos. Best thing I ever did.

Ambika: Very cringe. I suppressed all these memories. Damn MSCL!

PAD: Tough guy, eh?

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Thank goodness high school days are over and I only have one year of a uniform...The plaid jewelry is really fantastic--so quirky and off-beat, I love it! How do you always find these?

Vintage Bunny said...

I did some crazy stuff like wearing my dads shirts !!!

Sarah Brown said...

Everyone says they were Angela just like everyone watched SATC and said they were Carrie. That's the point, you're supposed to feel like that! But I'd take MSCL over SATC any day.

And I did some flannel/tights/shorts/converse outfits back in the day.

Sarah Brown said...

I meant to say, the one I wanted to dress like was Bridget Fonda in Singles. All those babydoll dresses with tights and Doc Marten boots!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I love the blaid ring in the second before last picture, it's so creative!!

Flair said...

LOL! this post brought back great memories - I remember wanting to dress like that, too! I remember those oversized flannel shirts (what were we thinking??)!!

Unknown said...

I like the plaid ring!

My French teacher got arthritis really badly midway through my sophomore year so she ended up just giving up and showing us VHS copies of My So Called Life, which was awesome!

I have to say, though, Dawson's Creek will never have a replacement.

Sharon said...

Jordan Catalano. Every time I see a MSCL-era photo of Jared Leto I cry a little to myself. What in God's name HAPPENED to him? Have you reached The Boiler Room episode yet?

Anonymous said...

Oh the nineties. :] I've been watching My So-Called Life too since my sister got it for Christmas & already finished it.

krissy said...

ooh, i haven't thought about "mscl" in ages....gosh, i loved that show! and ps: thanks for letting me know about the meaning attached to that bird on my necklace. that's exactly what i was afraid of so i'll be clipping it off. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha, oh man... high school "fashion." Unfortunately, I went to high school when digital cameras were in full swing, so there's nothing to burn... just lots of bad judgment floating around on the internet.

Debbie said...

Eeps! Plaid! My absolute favourite! Those bangles are cute.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of the plaid ring!

riz said...

I still swoon (hard) over Jared Leto (who doesn't). Didn't he have that ghastly band for 5 minutes??