Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Tagged... I'm it!
Happy Halloween, everyone!
I've been tagged by the lovely Lady N of Flair to tell you all six interesting things about me. I can't promise they'll be interesting to you, but they interest me!
1. I read A LOT: Since I take the train to work everyday, I usually breeze through a book every other day. I've memorized my library card number, and all the librarians know me by name. I'm a little proud of this.
Yes, she is holding a cat. Similarities to me? Why, what do you mean?
2. Which brings me to...: My favorite author is Barbara Pym, who wrote very British "comedy of manners" type novels chock full of bumbling vicars, excellent women (unmarried women who help out at the church jumble sales), and small town gossip.
Two quality Pym quotes:
"There are no sick people in North Oxford. They are either dead or alive. It’s sometimes difficult to tell the difference, that’s all." from Crampton Hodnet
"Miss Doggett again looked puzzled; it was as if she had heard that men only wanted one thing but had forgotten for the moment what it was." from Jane and Prudence (my favorite)
3. I am fascinated with medical disorders, especially ones concerning the brain: My favorite NPR show is Radio Lab, which dedicates each episode to different functions of the body. I am currently in the middle of (neurologist) Oliver Sacks' "An Anthropologist on Mars" which is about rare brain disorders, and I've just become obsessed with the TV show House. In the last episode, a 12 year old kid had anthrax poisoning AND leprosy!!
I've also loved the Bubonic plague since childhood.
4. I get very tired at concerts: The pounding bass has lulled me to sleep more often then I'd like to say. I barely saw any of The Dismemberment Plan (their last show ever, btw), and, well, Steely Dan was a seated concert. What did they expect?
5. My favorite jelly bean flavor is...: Buttered Popcorn. It sounds gross, I know, but just give it a shot. Apparently, it was the favorite for a couple of years. It's been bumped to #2 by Very Cherry. Sad.
6. When I like a song I have a tendency to listen to it over and over again: This drives my boyfriend crazy. Yesterday, I listened to Beirut's Nantes about, oh, 70 times.