Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Learning About: Labradorite


(Labradorite image from About.com)
Labradorite has always been one of my favorite stones. The flash and glitter of diamonds can't compare to the rainbow turns of each individual labradorite. Yesterday, I was wearing a necklace heavily featuring the lovely stones, but of course did not have my camera.

Last year, I talked my bf into getting his sister this for her birthday (another piece by my missing favorite collaborator):



All gems are fascinating to me (ooh, shiny), but Labradorite has an especially interesting background. The multi color sheen is actually called the Schiller Effect, which occurs when "light refracting within perthitic lamellar intergrowths resulting from phase exsolution on cooling." Kudos to you if you knew what that meant.

I assume some gem-oriented person named Schiller figured this out, but I actually can't confirm that. I can confirm that the name Labradorite stems from it's geographic origin, which is Labrador, Canada.
The stone is often referred to as "Flash of light in the darkness" due to this iridescence. Isn't that poetic?

It's said to guide the wearer and help them remain calm through chaos. Labradorite is also renowned for it's mind-sharpening qualities and can aid intuition. Come to think of it, I was a bit more on the ball then usual yesterday...
(Healing powers from Majestic Quartz and Minerals, Mineral info from Wikipedia)




Labradorite Stackable Ring, $24 (I really love the style of these rings--so unusual and a little old fashioned)



Delisch Midnight Bracelet, $188



Nava Zahavi 24K Ruby and Labradorite Earrings, $740



Pippa Small with Irregular Labradorite, £1,850.00



Metallic & Labradorite Ring, $70



Sundance Gold and labradorite earrings, $270



Novica "Tortoise Shell" Labradorite Necklace, $98.95



Five Strand Labradorite Bracelet, $150


And if jewelry is too blasé for you:

Labradorite Skull sculpture, currently $260 on ebay. Auction ends Nov. 2nd, so you've still got some time to think about it.

8 comments:

WendyB said...

Ooh, sign me up for that skull bidding! No, wait, I'm going to save my money for a diamond skull.

krissy said...

those stackable rings are too pretty!

Debbie said...

That's a really beautiful stone! Wow!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Reminds me of when i was younger
i was obsessed with collecting all sorts of stones!

In Yr Fshn said...

Wendy, diamond skulls are so last year! Labradorite will be the enw rage, trust me.

WendyB said...

The guy who did that rock crystal owl on my blog did a beautiful labradorite starfish with tiny pearls all over it.

In Yr Fshn said...

No pics of this starfish?

WendyB said...

No, sadly! I bet they can send me one though! I'm obsessed with that owl and don't know what to do about it! I think he's much cuter in real life than in photographs. Check out the website: http://www.paulycarvings.com/
They are for the trade only but still...good pix! These are the people who would do my cameo.