Tuesday, July 31, 2007




More on this ring in a second... I'm not going to write much today because I've got Harry Potter 5 hanging out on my desk, begging to be cracked. Yes, I know that is not the newest Harry. The boyfriend got me worried about reputation this morning: "what if people think that you think that's the newest one?" I only hope people know that is not the case, and also I took off the jacket and have been hiding the cover just in case.

Ahem.

The funny thing is, I thought I had left the Potter world at 4, and was actually a little disdainful of all the commotion. C'mon people, I thought, get a life! Then I started reading all about the movie and the book (How could you not? It was everywhere!) and decided that I should probably head back into the series. And then wonderful boyrfiend bought me 6 and 7 yesterday, so the world is my oyster.

On to jewelry...

There's a lot of opinion in this world, but I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that fashion is a form of art. Now, this season's Dior boots (or whatever) may be completely unappealing to me, but that doesn't make it any less a masterpiece to somebody else. Jewelry often gets left out of the loop here because people take for granted that jewelry will be beautiful. If it's not beautiful, it's boring and those two adjectives rarely get people talking beyond the initial statement.

Lately, I've noticed several pieces of jewelry (for sale, by jewelers-not as art projects, etc.) that could be considered modern wearable art. They make you think and they make you decide: Do I like this? Why? Why not? What did you think when you saw the ring above?

Here's another view:



Green Flourite Cocktail Ring by Anne Maa Design


House Ring by JDavis Studio

Of course, this isn't even a blip on the true discussion of this topic. These are just some pieces that I, personally, found to be more interesting than your average pair of pearls. Not that there is a thing wrong with pearls!


Wolfette Gold Ring by Kimberly Baker


Opal Pendant by Bernardine Fine Art Jewelry


Marquise Rock Ring by Lilliot (Cast form a mineral)


Eagle Necklace by Flamingo

I'll try to keep this an open topic and post more if I run across anything. Back to Hogwarts. (Really not usually a nerd. I swear.)

6 comments:

WendyB said...

I like the first three a lot!

Anonymous said...

The house one is wonderful...! Where is it from???
And the plimsolls are ULTRA comfy... and cute!
x

In Yr Fshn said...

Thanks, Wendy!

Meli--it's on etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5174302

He (she?) has got some amazing little rings! You should take a look. There are even entire neighborhood rings!

WendyB said...

The house and tree ring is GREAT! They remind of a traditional type of Jewish wedding ring that had a mini Jerusalem built up on top, just like this designer does...I haven't been able to find a picture of one for you though :-(

In Yr Fshn said...

Wendy, how on earth do you know about all these amazing things? That ring sounds wonderful...

WendyB said...

Ha ha! I have decided the key to appearing intelligent is to know an excessive amount of information about a few esoteric topics. That way, even if you know absolutely nothing about anything important, you appear to be some kind of mad genius or at least an idiot savant. :-)