Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More Music

Just a quick music update before my computer goodness is all unhooked...

I am very much digging these songs:

1. "Amylase" by Cajun Dance Party: We had never heard of this band and then it popped up on the, uh, "site" we get music from. Seemed to be very popular, so in a less chancy version of jumping off a bridge when all the other hipsters do, we downloaded. Before I listened to it, I did a little bit of Googling (scarred from all the times I innocently clicked on a band name in iTunes only to have it be one of my crazy boyfriend's beloved German death metal bands) and discovered these kids are very young. Like, juniors-in-HS-young. Also, they were a bit buzzed about last year. A lot of their songs sound  like some beautiful mating of Broken Social Scene and The Lucksmiths. With a Kook or two thrown in.  "Amylase" isn't my favorite; "The Colourful Life" is, but it's not up yet.

2. "Big Guns" and "Rise Up with Fists" from the solo Jenny Lewis album: I was so not into this album when it came out forever ago, but lately I've been far too lazy to get my iPod, so I have to listen to whatever is already on the computer. Jenny comes right after my two downloaded songs by American Idol contestant Jason Castro (swoon and I am totally NOT embarrassed about this); let's just say I've been listening to her a lot. The melodies are exquisite and the gentle cooing from the background singers just about breaks my heart every time. 

3. Have we talked about MGMT? I can't re
member, but the song "Electric Feel" will make you dance even if your brain and body do their darndest to resist. Good luck. 
Guys from MGMT with kittens. You have no soul if you aren't melting right now. 

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

We'll see you when you get your computer hooked back up!

paperback reader said...

I think that almost any album will grow on you if you listen to it more than five times, but I didn't make it through that Jenny Lewis record once.

I would like to test this theory by listening to music I hate, like 90s era Chicago, but then I'd have to listen to that crap. You can see how I'm torn.

WendyB said...

Dang, I should listen to what you youngsters listen to once in a while....
No...
Wait...
I'm too old.

riz said...

I love Broken Social Scene!!''

(Still awaiting the music list which will descend from the heavens) ;)

Lauren said...

ahh jenny lewis!!! that album has to be my favorite of all time! seriously! i think ive listened to that album like 30 times! those 2 songs are some of the best on that CD

i like MGMT too :D

Unknown said...

I LOVE JENNY LEWIS'S SOLO ALBUM!

Well, I love anything JL and am basically trying to change my new band from Riot Grrrl to Rilo Kiley...